7th August, 2020
OPEN LETTER TO:
The Executive Governor of Ebonyi State,
Chief Engr. David Nweze Umahi, FNSE,FNATE,
Government House Abakaliki,
PUBLIC OUTCRY BY THE IMMEDIATE PAST COUNCILLORS OF ISHIELU LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EBONYI STATE ON THE EMBEZZLEMENT/MISMANAGMENT OF THE CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA 2019 AGRICULTURAL LOAN, GIVEN TO THE FORMER COUNCIL CHAIRMAN OF ISHIELU (HON. HENRY SUNDAY EZE). CALL FOR INVESTIGATION
We are the immediate past Councilors of Ishielu local Government Area of Ebonyi State.
We want to use this opportunity to thank His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Ebonyi State, Chief Engr David Nweze Umahi, FNSE, FNATE, for his unwavering efforts to ensure that Ebonyi State attains food sufficiency, and that poverty and hunger are nipped in the board through your life-changing agricultural policies.
We the above mentioned body write with utter dismay and chagrin as the people at the receiving end of any brunt of mismanagement in our localities, especially during our tenure as the Councilors.
Your Excellency sir, recall that in the year 2019 farming season, you in your usual manner of equity and fair play disbursed the CBN Agricultural Loan across board in the 13 Local Government in Ebonyi State. The instruction of his Excellency was that 200 farmers in every ward in Ebonyi State should be given a loan of Twenty Five Thousand Naira (N25, 000.00) each to assist them in the farming season. That is, each ward was meant to get the sum of Five Million Naira (N5, 000,000.00).
Your Excellency sir, it is worthy of note that Ishielu Local Government Area has 16 wards and therefore, Hon. Henry Sunday Eze, the Former Chairman of Ishielu Local Government Area received a total sum of Eighty Million Naira (N80,000,000.00) being the sum for 3200 farmers in the 16 wards.
It is on record that Hon Henry Sunday Eze while disbursing the loan gave the sum of Fourteen Thousand Naira (N14,000.00) cash and 2 bags of fertilizer at the cost of N5,500 each (Govt Approved Price) to each farmer.
Each Councilor was allowed to be present during the disbursement in his or her ward so as to confirm the identity of these farmers and also take record of the number of farmers given in each ward.
Sir, below is the number of those that benefited from each of the wards and those that were not given.
- Agba Ward. 142 Farmers received, while 58 Farmers did not receive.
- Amazu Ward. 72 Farmers received, while 128 Farmers did not receive
- Azuinyaba ward A. 93 Farmers received, while 107 Farmers did not receive
- Azuinyaba ward B. 171 Farmers received, while 29 Farmers did not receive
- Ezillo Ward I. 71 Farmers received, while 129 Farmers did not receive.
- Ezillo Ward II. 61 Farmers received, while 139 Farmers did not receive
- Ezzagu Ward I. 91 Farmers received, while 109 Farmers did not receive
- Ezzagu Ward II. 153 Farmers received, while 47 Farmers did not receive
- Iyionu Ward 124 Farmers received, while 76 Farmers did not receive.
- Ntezi Ward 103 Farmers received, while 97 Farmers did not receive.
- Nkalagu Ward 93 Farmers received, while 107 Farmers did not receive.
- Nkalaha Ward 95 Farmers received, while 105 Farmers did not receive.
- Obegu Ward 119 Farmers received, while 81 Farmers did not receive.
- Ohofia Ward 125 Farmers received, while 75 Farmers did not receive.
- Okpoto 98 Farmers received, while 102 Farmers did not receive.
- Umuhali Ward being the former Chairman’s ward, he took total monopoly as the Councilor of that ward was not allowed to monitor or take record of how it was disbursed.
Therefore, the total number of farmers that were given in the 15 out of the 16 wards of Ishielu Local Government Area monitored by the councilors is 1617 farmers amounting to Forty Million Four Hundred and Twenty Five Thousand Naira Only (N40, 425,000.00) while 1383 farmers did not receive the loan amounting to the sum of Thirty Four Million Five Hundred and Seventy Five Thousand Naira, (N34, 575,000.00) which is unaccounted for.
Your Excellency sir, the gravamen of this letter is that, it is our concern that the giant stride your administration has made in positioning Ebonyi State, among the number one state in Nigeria in area of food production and food security must not be sabotaged or seen to have been sabotaged by anyone, especially those holding public trust.
We therefore wish to put the record straight, that the disbursement of 2019 Agric loan in Ishielu LGA to some farmers and failure to give to other farmers in the list was exclusively done by Hon. Henry Sunday Eze (The Former Chairman Ishielu Local Government Area).
That the immediate past Councillors from Ishielu Local Government did not disburse the loan to farmers neither did we guarantee the farmers from our various wards.
Prayers: It is our heartfelt prayer that Your Excellency will use his good offices to:
- Urgently investigate how 2019 CBN Agric Loan was disbursed in Ishielu Local Government Area.
- Allay our fears on the news making the round that the immediate past Councilors were responsible for the disbursement of 2019 CBN Agric Loan to farmers in their wards and as such will be required to recover the money, especially as we await the payment of our severance allowances
Thank you for your most valued attention
Hon. Mrs Jenifer Nnaji Hon. Nwugo Celestine
(Ezillo Ward I) 0703 033 7267 (Agba Ward) 08037582062
Hon Ogbu Simeon Hon. Okechukwu Onyebuchi
(Iyionu Ward) (Ezillo Ward 2) 0906 032 1000
0704 480 3898
Hon. Nnaemeka Otubo
. (Umuhali Ward) 0806 838 2608
Hon Ogbu Daniel Moloson
Nkalaha Ward.0818 090 1648